Monday, October 30, 2006

Are you a better Christian than me?

I was chatting to an old friend on the bus a couple months ago when something came up that I felt i needed to talk about. And yes, I have only just gotten around to talking about it. But this issue has come up since then a couple of times. What it was that triggereed this off for me was my friends comment, 'Well I do believe, but I'm not as good a Christian as you'. I quickly corrected that statement to how I think of this. I do not think it is fair to say that one Christian is better than another. If it should be judged at all, it should be judged on how close your relationship is with God, but even that is something personal to the individual and should only be shared by the individual if he or she would like to share that.

Each persons experience and relationship with God is different. If you look at a family with at least two children. Each child has a different relationship with their father, yet the father does not love one of them more than the other. This is how I see our relatioships with God. God loves us all, but some of us are closer, some are not so close. But we are all brothers and sisters and no-one is better than another.

I have just finished reading an amazing book. A book that was recommended to me by my friend and fellow blogger Adrian Warnock, and really set things clearer for me. The book is called 'Living the Cross-Centered Life', by C.J.Mahaney (Adrian does a very good review of this book and you can read it if you click on the link). I am not sure what I can and can't say without quoting from the book, but one thing that has helped be become closer to God in my relationship with Him, is to focus a lot more on the Cross than I had been in the past.

My main message in this post is to not get disheartened if someone thinks they are a better Christian than you. You are either a Christian or you are not and your relationship with God is your own. God loves you, He loves me and He loves us all. Love your Christian brothers and sisters and give each other support.

God bless.............
Jason :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting article, its a challenge to walk with God, and avoid the legalism and instead be holy.

http://www.faithforum.co.uk/phpBB2/weblogs.php

Susanna said...

Hey Jason, it's awesome to read your posts, great that you've just become a Christian, really encouraging. God bless.